January 09, 2011

Remembering the 90s: Female Style Icons

I was a teenager in the 90s so to me it was an amazing decade and I miss it dearly. The fashion was crazy and went from messy grunge to colorful Spice Girl outfits. I had lots of female style icons, my room was always plastered with posters and I had cd's lying around everywhere. I've been wanting to do a tribute post for ages and now the time has come.

In the early 90s I was totally in love with Saved by the Bell, and Tiffani-Amber Thiessen aka Kelly Kapowski was the girl we all wanted to be. She had gorgeous hair, huge poofy bangs and her fashion sense was dead on. Also, we all wanted to date Zack Morris and murder Screech.




Later on Clueless was released and I remember thinking it was the most amazing movie on the planet. Cher was the perfect girl with the perfect life and we all wanted pink feather pens, plaid outfits, and cute hats. I used to love everything that Alicia Silverstone was in, especially the Aerosmith videos.






Other influencial females of the 90s include Gwen Stefani, Shirley Manson, and Courtney Love.












I also loved watching Beavis and Butthead and Daria. MTV was the only channel I had on and I would sit in front of my TV with my friends and watch music videos all day. Daria was the kinda girl whom we all admired. She didn't care what anyone thought of her and thought the popular crowd was stupid. So did we. 




Later on I became quite a different kind of girl when the Spice fever hit the world. The message of girl power was great for a girl like me who wanted to stand out and feel empowered. The Spice Girls had great style and were fun and daring. I was a huge fan and Geri was my absolute favorite. I loved her red locks and funky attitude. 








Whoops! Almost forgot about Xena! Defenitely worth a mention. This girl was BAD ASS and could kick some serious butt.



Also, I have pay tribute to the fashion want of the decade that I never got. I really REALLY wanted the floral or purple Doc Martens. I never got them as they we'rent that comfy but I loved how they looked. Maybe it's about time I give them another try. 


 

I love having been a 90s kid and had the pleasure of experiencing so many fun fashion trends, listened to so much great music and simply had a great time enjoying my teen years.

1 comment:

  1. You are luke to been teenager in 90's, in 2012 it's suck!

    ReplyDelete